Grillaholics, what I’m about to say is not easy for me to write, but it is unfortunately true: you shouldn’t eat ONLY meat. As a Grillaholic, I can’t even recall all of the times where I considered becoming a pure Meatatarian, before unfortunately realizing that epic amounts of protein cannot possibly replace the essential vitamins and nutrients found in fruits and vegetables that the body needs to stay healthy. Luckily, being the grillmasters that we are, getting these nutrients doesn’t have to taste like garbage.
EVERYTHING tastes better on the grill, and on the rare occasion where I go for some of the green stuff, asparagus is always one of the first vegetables I choose. Asparagus is loaded with vitamins and nutrients, pairs deliciously with steak and chicken, and is extremely easy to grill! For those who have struggled with grilling great-tasting asparagus, or for those who have never tried it at all, here’s a Grillaholics approved method for preparing amazing grilled asparagus every time!
What You Need
- 1 Pound of Asparagus*
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
*When shopping for asparagus, the thicker the stalk the better. Thicker asparagus work the best for grilling, as thin asparagus can dry out easily while cooking.
- Preheat your grill to a high heat
- Begin preparing the asparagus by breaking/cutting off any tough ends from the base of each stalk.
- Place the prepared asparagus into a baking pan. Pour in olive oil and mix so that each stalk is evenly coated in oil. Sprinkle in Kosher salt (as much or as little as you prefer), and mix evenly again.
- Before placing asparagus on the grill, brush the grill grates with a small amount of olive oil to prevent sticking (alternatively, you can use a grill mat or a grill basket to get the same results). Always aim the thickest ends of the asparagus towards the hottest part of the grill (typically the center) to ensure even cooking.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes, rotating constantly to ensure even cooking. When they asparagus are lightly charred evenly on all sides, they are done.
And that’s it! It’s one of the easiest things you can grill, and with this method, eating your vegetables will be 100 times easier!